Wednesday 1 June 2011

LUCY IN DISGUISE

Today the Telegraph revealed the first pictures of Lily Allen and Sarah Owen's vintage-inspired designs for their brand Lucy in Disguise - named after their boutique in London.

According to the website, "the sisters hope their range will curb the disappointing feeling, experienced all too often, when a one-off vintage treasure just won't fit: 'Vintage sizing can be quite irregular,' said Owen. 'When we were buying clothes for the shop we saw so much that really nearly hit the nail on the head but not quite.'"


Speakeasy mini dress embellished with pearly sequins



Zanzibar jumpsuit



Honky Tonk dress




Jitterbug dress



The Roxy jumpsuit



Altamant dress


Chatsworth dress


Gold Rush mini



Promenade shift mini



Radio City dress


Thoughts?

Overall I think this is a pleasing, cohesive wee collection which fits the brief and ethos of the Lucy in Disguise brand perfectly! My favorites are the Speakeasy, Zanzibar, Jitterbug, Roxy and Gold Rush, though I would happily wear all the pieces.

One of the best things about the collection, as well as the fact it's fun and flirty, is that it is vintage INSPIRED, instead of simple remakes or literal copies of actual vintage pieces. This really proves Lily and Sarah's design talent and knowledge of vintage fashion right back to the 20s - to have taken the inspiration and translated it into desirable, wearable garments. In particular the Gold Rush, Jitterbug and Promenade dresses all feel really young and  contemporary while still remaining true to their vintage inspiration. 

Though instantly recognisable, nowhere is the vintage effect shoved down our throats - something I think Biba interpreted really badly with their relaunch last year - heady, overly-opulent and decidedly dowdy, even the gorgeous Daisy Lowe couldn't sway me.

Anyway, aar Lil' done good, no?

What do you guys think?



2 comments:

Roisin Stewart said...

oooh! pretty dresses! I am on a shopping ban for all of June but come July I am rewarding my month long no shopping suffering by buying at least half of these! Yes, that does totally undermine the point...

fritha louise said...

I love this collection! Shame I have no money though.. I'm particularly enamoured with the Gold Rush dress, but I've found some pretty similar looking fabric this week so I may have to try and make a similar dress myself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...