Sunday 23 October 2011

SHAUN LEANE FOR ROX... AND OTHER SHIZ

Jesus, it's been a while, eh?

This week has been spent frantically beavering away at some freelance projects, including chatting to the lovely Carol, Scottish Ballet's head of wardrobe, and assisting on a few shoots for The Herald again... Sneak peek time!


ALSO, on Thursday I was kindly invited to a swanky event at ROX in Argyle Arcade, to celebrate
jewellery designer Shaun Leane's latest collections - Horn, Tusk, Cherry Blossom and Couture Took My Heart...

Recognised internationally as a designer who pushes the boundaries of convention, yet still has an aptitude for creating classically romantic jewellery, Shaun Leane has created some of the most ground-breaking and trend-setting collections of jewellery currently on the market.

The uniqueness of Shane Leane jewellery is what makes it such an in-demand range, and it is this designer's distinctive attitude to jewellery-making that has made him a favourite in the industry.

To be honest, I'd never heard of Shaun Leane before the event - which is pretty bad considering he was responsible for all the jewellery at Alexander McQueen under the late, great man himself, who was also  a close personal friend of his. Ooopsie.

BUT actually, turns out I DID recognise some of his most iconic pieces like the brooch he designed for SJP at the AngloMania exhibition in 2006 and the bespoke collar for Bjork's 2001 album cover:



Some of my favs from his current collections include the spikey, jaggy pieces in the Horn and Tusk collections. Check em oot:








This gold Vertebrae Ball bracelet is actually from his earlier Serpent collection but is still available to buy at ROX online. It's my total favourite ever! At over £1,000 I'm sure you could probably find something similar in Topshop, but there's something about a solid gold, perfectly-crafted piece of bling that just sends me weak at the knees. Creepy, Gothic but utterly beautiful and delicate at the same time - jings, can SOMEONE please buy me it?

Queen Michelle from Kingdom of Style was there to quiz Shaun on his inspirations and his future plans. He told the rapt audience he'd love to work with Cartier, reinventing their signature pieces from the1920s and bringing them up to date with a contemporary twist. Cue mass swooning! CAN YOU IMAGINE? Seriously...

Much of the chat also centered round his collaboration with fashion oddball/genius Daphne Guinness entitled Contra Mundum or Against the World. To you and I that's basically a bespoke, priceless glove designed to fit Daphne's hand perfectly, made up of more than a thousand grams of gold and set with over 5,000 pavé white diamonds... So, like, pretty dope.


Here she is modelling it pretending to be a corpse. Obviously.

Shaun told us it took him over four years to make - that's some intense dedication right there. I would've loved to have seen it up close but it's probably guarded in a Gringotts-style safe somewhere, guarded by vicious fashion harpies...

Anyway, aye, twas a fabo night. I didn't take any photos cos I'm rubbish like that, but Amanda did so check em oot. Thanks to Toni and ROX for taking such good care of us! Here's a pic of me and my pal Kirsten on the left getting papped on the way in - such SLEBS!


Not that you can really see but I'm wearing a vintage snakeskin blouse, Toppers Ambush boots, H&M pleather skirt and Acne leather jacket. Kirsten is wearing Urban Outfitters top and Vero Moda breeks (I think). I pure love that Acne jacket but it does tend to bulk me up a bit since it isn't fitted. I'm looking a little who ate all the pies here...








See? Swanky.com/pureclassy. Anyhoo, back to the grind this week so expect a few more lunchtime blogs :)


OH, almost forgot, I was at Bon Iver last night at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh. BEST. GIG. EVER. Do yourself a favour and watch this...





Ni-night y'all.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...